The Comfort Keepers Carer of the Year 2015 from DSW5 is Mosunmola Kasali. Mosunmola has been working with Comfort Keepers for two years. She is currently in her fourth year of college studying social care and she works as a home carer in the evenings and at weekends.
As a student of social care, it seems obvious that Mosunmola would be naturally caring but sometimes it takes more than that for someone to stand out. I asked Mosunmola for her opinion on what makes a really good carer. She believes that carers need to:
1. Have passion – they need to have passion and enthusiasm for their career, they should feel inspired going to work each day.
2. They must have empathy and be able to understand how others are feeling.
3. They must understand that someday they will be old and therefore treat people as they want to be treated or treat all clients as though they are members of their own family.
4. They must be hard workers as caring for someone doesn’t just involve offering companionship, the hour goes by very quickly with lots to do.
5. They must get on well with their colleagues and co-operate well when working a double shift.
We wish Mosunmola the best of luck with the rest of the process. The overall Carer of the Year winner for 2015 will be announced on 13th November.
If you are in college and would like to work as a part-time home carer in the evenings or weekends, just like Mosunmola, do apply on our Vacancies page.