Taking time to enjoy the simple things that bring your client a little joy can make all the difference at Christmas when things get hectic and we risk getting caught up in the bustle and stress. Make a joy list of simple activities you know relax your client and make them happy.
- It is your presence that counts, celebrations can be simple;
- Reminiscence about past holidays and events can trigger happy memories;
- Singing or listening to music can be a lovely way to spend time together;
- Bring favourite book, photographs or music to enjoy together;
- Watching an old movie;
- Sorting colour beads, lego and colourful items can focus the mind when distracted.
- Hand massage, brushing hair or aromatherapy can all be enjoyable for a person with advanced dementia.
Why not try adding some activities of your own? Simple things unique to your clients are great additions to the Joy List.