Did you know that helping others is actually good for you?
Whether you decide to help others by volunteering or take up a career, not only are you aiding others in feeling better but it’s good for your health too.
1. When you focus on someone other than yourself, it actually helps to rid your own body of tension and stress. Therefore, when caring for someone else, your own body relaxes.
2. You give back and that increases your own self esteem and happiness. Whether you are volunteering within a charity shop or helping out at events, or working as a carer to help old people retain their independence and live in their own homes, you are, in effect, thanking them. One of our Comfort Keepers carers recently stated that she feels that she is giving back something to older people for all the work they did when times were harder.
3. You can support families. By volunteering with youth organisations, for example, Scouts, you’ll have great fun as well as seeing young people blossom. By working as a carer, you’ll be helping adult children to care for their parents. Many adult children are working full-time, living a distance from their parents or would prefer to have a professional carer there too.
4. You get to know many more people by volunteering. You’ll build camaraderie with other volunteers and be part of a team. By working as a carer, you’ll be seeing a number of clients and getting to know them well.
5. By volunteering, you can gain experience and perhaps work towards a new career. It is also a means to testing out a new line of work and future career. Student nurses or students in other healthcare roles enjoy working as professional carers as it gives them experience in that field as well as providing a good income. If you are thinking of working towards a career in nursing, training as a home carer means you gain good experience as well as knowing if that career is right for you.
6. It makes you happy and helps you be satisfied with your own life as well as your efforts.
If you would like to work as a Home Support Worker with us, you can check out our careers website at ckjobs.ie
Alternatively, you can contact us here.
More than just a job. Make caring your career with Comfort Keepers.