We’re all wondering how to stay warm this year. Between the floods, the heavy rain, the gales and the cold temperatures, it can be easier said than done to keep ourselves warm this winter. Same goes for out houses, particularly as we watch our fuel bills. The seriousness of being too cold is highlighted when you consider that that those living in the coldest homes are three times more likely to die a preventable death than those living in warm homes!
However, there is good news – there are steps you can take to ensure you stay safe and warm for the remainder of this winter.
Top tips on staying warm
- Insulation – improving the insulation of your home can really help with retaining warmth. There are grants available for insulation works. However, in the meantime, you could use draught excluders on doors and ensure that you close curtains in unused rooms most of the time.
- Heavy curtains – these can act as an insulating blanket. Many people will hang a heavy interlined curtain across the front door to minimise draughts.
- The trusty hot water bottle or electric blanket ensures your body temperature doesn’t dip when you first get into bed. If you find it chilly in the mornings, it may be time to replace the hot water bottle with an electric blanket so you can switch it back on for a little while. Never use both together.
- Partial heating – If you have decided to heat just part of your home, ensure that you keep the main areas of your bedroom, bathroom, hall, kitchen and living room warm.
- Exercise – When we feel cold, we often don’t feel like taking some exercise but a walk around the park or to the local shop, if the weather permits, will get your circulation moving.
- Keeping active – Apparently, many older people are staying in bed longer in the mornings in order to stay warm. With the dark mornings, this option is certainly tempting. However, don’t overdo it – it is better to be up and about if you can.
- Layering up – Wearing many thinner layers of clothes may be more efficient than 2 or 3 heavy layers so you can easily remove and add layers when you are up and about.
These simple tips on staying warm will go a long way this winter!
Connect with us
To begin starting care for your loved one, you can click here.
To join our incredible award-winning team, you can apply now by clicking here or emailing your CV to email@example.com